This Easy Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken recipe is the perfect family-friendly healthy dinner recipe. With only a handful of pantry staple ingredients, this recipe is also gluten-free, dairy-free, keto-friendly, and can be made vegan as well.
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast or thighs
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch (optional *)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (cream and liquid divided) - 13.5 oz
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 - 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- Additional Salt to taste *
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- Cut the chicken into cubes. In a big Ziploc bag or medium bowl, marinate the chicken with coconut amino, salt *, and arrowroot flour (if using any). Make sure the chicken is completely coated.
- Using "saute" mode, heat up 1 - 2 tbsp oil in an instant pot. Add onion and garlic, saute until fragrant.
- Add Chicken cubes (add more oil if needed). Flip a couple of times until the chicken is slightly browned on the outside. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Use all of the top cream parts of the coconut milk (roughly 1/2 cup) along with 1/2 cup of the liquid on the bottom.
- Make sure the chicken is evenly coated.
- Cover set the valve to “sealing” and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once done, release. Serve with rice, your favorite vegetables, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- *Coconut amino itself is salty, so take that into consideration when you salt the chicken.
- ** If you don't have arrowroot flour, you can omit it. I love using arrowroot flour to help lock the juice in and make the chicken extra moist.
- For Crockpot and Stovetop Instruction, check out the "What if I don't have an Instant Pot" section in this post.
- You can use 1 to 1 1/2 can of chickpea instead of chicken to make this recipe vegan-friendly.