- 1.5 lbs chicken breast diced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 inch knob ginger minced
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 small bell pepper diced
- 1 cup cashews coarsely chopped
- 2 green onion sprigs chopped
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 head of butter iceberg or Romaine lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 tbsp avocado or any oil for frying
- Make sure all ingredients are chopped and ready.
- Preheat a large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and add cashews. Pan fry until toasted, stirring constantly. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Right before the chicken is done cooking, in a small bowl add cold water, soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, and cornstarch; whisk with a fork. Add to the chicken along with zucchini and bell pepper; cook for 1 minute or until sauce has thickened. Stir in cashews and green onions.
- Serve chicken lettuce wraps immediately. To assemble, use 2-3 stacked lettuce leaves (depending on their thickness) and spoon the desired amount of filling on top. If someone is very hungry, serve over a bed of rice or quinoa.
Instead of chicken breast, you can use diced chicken thighs, and ground chicken or ground turkey.