Recipe of the Week
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces beer of choice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Couple of dashes of hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 sourdough or potato buns
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- When the oil shimmers, add the ground turkey and pork. Spread the meat out evenly and then refrain from pushing it around for 2-3 minutes to develop a crust.
- Once the meat has browned on one side, begin to break it up into small bits and cook until no pink remains, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, jalapeño, and garlic to the meat. Stir and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beer to deglaze the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the cast iron.
- Add the ketchup, maple syrup, chili powder, dry mustard, cayenne, and hot sauce to the meat and mix well to combine. Cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes to reduce.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Lastly, add the Worcestershire sauce to the pan, stir and remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve hot on sourdough or potato buns.