Tips and Tricks to navigate holiday gatherings without going overboard
- Bring a healthy dish to share that aligns with your goals. Think things like veggies and hummus, a fruit bowl, turkey wrapped cheese sticks, mixed nuts, turkey meatballs, a healthy chicken wing recipe, chili.
- Don’t arrive at the party hungry. Have a healthy meal before the event or have a small snack on the way, something like a kind bar/protein bar, string cheese, beef jerky, hard-boiled eggs, veggies, or a small serving of nuts.
- Drink lots of water throughout the evening. Try to stray away from the high calorie/sugary drinks.
- Only fill ONE plate of food, no seconds. Take small portions of everything that you want to try but fill up on as many healthy options as possible.
- Eat your protein FIRST. Eat things like meatballs, chicken wings, turkey, beans before you indulge in the high-calorie carbs. This will prevent you from overindulging in the junk and keep you satisfied longer.
- Stay out of the kitchen or serving area. If you are around the food, you are more likely to graze and overeat. If the food is in the kitchen, hang out in the dining room or living room. Another option would be to only eat while you are SEATED at a table.
- Be active!! Get outside and throw the football with the younger kids, recruit a family member to go for a quick walk, help the host clean up the table and dishes.
- Leave the leftovers!! Don’t come home with extra pie, mashed potatoes, hot dishes, bars/cookies, leave them for someone else.
- HAVE FUN and DON’T STRESS!! One bad day or off meal will NOT throw off your progress. Enjoy the party and get right back on track the next day, don’t let the indulging roll into a bad habit.